Tuesday 10 February 2015

Wallaby Hill Feb 2015 - Annie's first outing

Wow - what a great weekend! Not just the riding, though that was great. But the event itself. It really has to rate as the friendliest, most picturesque and well-organised events on the calendar. Or, as a very seasoned volunteer told me, "The one they spend the most money on." She has a point.

So, we arrived with half an hour to plait up and hop on. Not the best way to kick off, but the plaits got done and off we sauntered to the dressage. Annie was quite distracted - she was looking at EVERYTHING - but not at all stressed. It was the nicest change to be sitting on a horse that wasn't losing its little mind and leaping and cavorting about. She even pulled out a fairly nice test, considering. I got tense just before we went in, so Annie did too. Not ideal, but a pretty common mistake. We got a very respectable 62.7% for a horse that resembled a camel for most of the test!

Showjumping followed very quickly on my dressage but I actually got to walk the course for the first time in about a year! It was a pretty straightforward course, as it always is (should be?) at this level. I was slightly concerned about the atmosphere for young Annie - it's quite an arena, with spectators along one side and dense bush along the other. Lots to look at!

Annie pulled out a very green but clear round and I was very proud of her. Looking at the couple of pics of us jumping on GeoSnap I am appalled at my position. It looks like I've gone back to throwing myself forward on her neck as she hesitates when she's looking at the jump. I should be sitting up and being defensive. Lucinda Green will beat that out of me tomorrow, I'm sure!

I put young Annie away with lots of hay and water to hang out in her yard while I sucked down a delicious steak sandwich (with the lot) and fanged it over to my arena to start a long 4.5 hour stint of dressage judging. I can honestly say, though, it was one of the most enjoyable sessions of dressage I have judged in the longest time. I had a great penciller who was funny and experienced and the quality of combinations I judged was quite astounding. Even the lowest score was around 52% and the highest was a fabulous pair who got over 80% - that's an average of 8 per movement. It was a very good way to spend the afternoon. Even got a TimTam or two for my troubles.

It was pretty hot on the Saturday, but cooled down overnight (not too cold, mind, just nice) and we were all putting jumpers on when the sun went down. I got a surprise, and very welcome, invite for dinner at some lovely friends' truck and, after a great BBQ, a cold beer and a chat, we slumped off to bed at a very rowdy 11pm! I even got to have a shower. I can't tell you how good that felt after such a hot day sitting in the car!

Sunday dawned even hotter. It topped 30 degrees by 11am and that's seriously hot for the Southern Highlands. The cross country was riding well, though, and Annie had no real problems. She never feels like she's thinking about stopping, or even slowing that much. I have decided to keep my gear very simple on her - a PeeWee bit and plain cavesson noseband for cross country, no spurs, no whip, just heels and a bit of a click to encourage her. I feel like she's quite sensitive, underneath all that heft, and she's slowly relaxing and getting comfortable with me. So, while it can feel a bit risky going out on course without a backup to your aids other than a big pony club kick, it seems to be paying off.

Annie just ate it up. We had to trot some bits (the changes from grass to sawdust to black sand to dirt were very offputting to Annie!), including the little bank, just to give her time to see things. But she can sure gallop and was jumping out of her stride pretty well by the last half of the course. Intro is great because there are really little or no technical elements to the jumps and the horses can learn to jump out of their stride a bit before they have to start working out the jumps too quickly.

We came in clear and under time, a result I haven't managed since I had Assegai. It wasn't pretty - she still jumps very greenly, launching herself over the jump and pushing me hard back in the saddle, but she jumped very willingly and boldly. I was stoked.

The only downside? I was so excited when I got over the finish I leapt off without unclipping my vest and promptly blew the canister. At least I know it works, right? But then I couldn't figure out how to deflate it so I just had to struggle out of it and carry it back to the float like a blow-up doll. Everyone looked at me with sympathy. I couldn't figure out if they were thinking, poor love she must have had a fall, or, stupid idiot didn't unclip her vest.....

All in all, a smashing start to our partnership together and Annie was just a pleasure to take out. I got lots of compliments about her so I mustn't be the only one who likes Annie Pannie. :)

Coming up, the much-anticipated Lucinda Green clinic. Will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I'll approve it as soon as I can....unless you're a spammer, in which case, don't bother!