Sunday 8 February 2015

Manu Clinic Part II - at long last

Well, I needed a week to really think about the last lesson I had with Manu. It was an intense hour, in the end, with some highs and lows. We started as with the first lesson, really locking my hands onto the base of Annie's neck and providing stability and rewarding correct head carriage and softness in the contact.

In short, it didn't work well this time. Annie was coming round but getting very heavy, leaning on my hands and exhausting me. I kept telling Manu she was heavy and she finally asked if I wanted her to hop on to feel what was happening. She hopped on (and looked tiny!) and I noticed a couple of differences in what Manu was telling me to do versus what she was actually doing. What she was doing was definitely working so I wanted to understand and imitate!

Essentially, to me, Manu's hands weren't still as much as she was asking. And her aids were given in much quicker succession than I was giving them. So, when Annie pulled or resisted the bit, Manu brought her hands back and off Annie's neck a little (not massive movement, mind, but definitely not just still), slowing her. Then, as Annie obeyed and lightened, Manu would immediately release her fingers and push her forward, not taking a few seconds to push her on like I did.

In a few minutes, Annie was traveling forward round and soft. So I hopped on and started doing what Manu had done. Needless to say, it wasn't what Manu actually wanted and we had our first true miscommunication in years and years! It wasn't bad, just that I felt that Annie was feeling a bit trapped or restricted by the theoretical hands vs the freedom and relaxation offered by the actual hands. If that makes sense.

The lesson wasn't helped by the bloody peanut gallery of helpful souls who felt the need to chuck in their two cents' worth. As much as I find it hard not to comment myself in other peoples' lessons, I do get pissed off when spectators feel fine with giving me advice when the coach I actually paid for and want to hear from is RIGHT THERE. Nuff said.

I rode Annie again a couple of days after this lesson and started experimenting with some hand positions and found that Annie still got tense and resistant against a short rein and tight hold. When I sat up and let the rein out, Annie would round and blow and move forward really nicely. In fact, she would even do some lovely round transitions! So, I thought I would just keep doing what worked. We'll see if that works, anyway. It's a lot easier, to be honest.

Next post - Wallaby Hill! Our first event.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I'll approve it as soon as I can....unless you're a spammer, in which case, don't bother!