Monday 4 February 2013

Hurray - exams are finished!

I've been a bit quiet on all fronts over the last couple of weeks due to a) exam prep and b) tidying up our damn house so we can put it on the market. While it's been really exciting to think we're going to move to our very own farm, there's been a bit of a dampener in the realisation that we have to sell this one!! And my other half is not known for his thrifty living ways - he's a hoarder, though nowhere near as bad as those freaks on TV!

So, lucky Assegai has been having a little holiday. And Rose has been helping! But this morning was our first ride and it was a doozy. Both of them were a bit on the fresh side, frankly. I've been feeding Assegai marshmallow root to see if that helps with his permanent case of the grumps. Marshmallow root, slippery elm and aloe vera gel are all supposed to be good for ulcers and there is some evidence Assegai may suffer from them, like 80% of performance horses.

It should take a couple of weeks for any change to be seen, but there is the odd positive sign at this stage. He's a lot less lethargic (though that could just be the break) but maybe not less grumpy yet. :) I had a good lesson with Ben Netterfield the other day (did I blog about that already?). In between all the gossiping and chatting about our favourite cross country riders to watch (the general consensus was Stuart Tinney - an 'operator', as Ben called him) we managed to get some really lovely canter work out of Assegai. I still have to work on my bloody hands - now they're dropping too low after me working so hard to keep them down!

I've just entered Berrima, Intro, and am all excited. We're booked in at a lovely B&B for the Sat night so it should be pretty great. I've also just popped an entry into a local dressage comp and now have to get Assegai's dressage card re-issued as one of the tests is official. Add it to the list!

Maybe I'll see you out there - happy riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I'll approve it as soon as I can....unless you're a spammer, in which case, don't bother!