Tuesday 9 January 2018

Welcome to Baretta

The dressage queen journey is now begun. The rather handsome Baretta (by 00 Seven) is now ensconced at Pine Hill after what feels like a whirlwind romance and a marathon 8 hour drive in near-40 degree heat!

Silver Hills Skyfall (Baretta)
 Baretta is just a baby - 4 years old - and is literally at the start of his ridden career. I had my first ride this morning and it really felt like I was on a toddler! I established a good stop response with some ground work and I'm glad of it because he was all over the place, bless him! It's amazing the difference riding a well put-together horse with natural ability compared to the average horse, especially at this stage. Baretta carries me relatively easily and is balanced for his age, lack of strength and lack of suppleness.

And another plus is Baretta will need to be transitioned from shod to barefoot (well, I consider that a plus!). I will blog about this transition over the coming months, starting in just under 3 weeks when a new trimmer will arrive to take off his shoes and start the process. His feet are in good condition, though he has a little 'high-low' going on with his front hooves (the near fore heel is higher than the off fore) and it will be interesting to see how barefoot management assists in achieving symmetry.

Baretta was used to being in a private paddock and its been fun watching him make some friends with his paddock-mates. The current BFF, understandably, is the only other gelding on the property belonging to Pine Hill, Fui. Fui is a lovely old soul and he and Baretta are already mates. 
 Fui on the left, Baretta on the right. Koko the dog in the background 
Baretta

 It will be interesting to see how Baretta transitions to barefoot. Given his age and comparatively short time in shoes (no more than a year, off and on), as well as his overall health and diet, and what appear to be strong, functional hooves, I don't anticipate major problems. I have started feeding him Hygain Ice, lucerne chaff and hay, and a little Hygain Balanced. He also has a tube of Succeed digestive paste to keep his gut healthy.


Baretta having a little play with Fui.

Annie and I head off to the Bulla HRCAV Dressage comp this Sunday and I'm looking forward to it. Let you know how I go when I get back :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I'll approve it as soon as I can....unless you're a spammer, in which case, don't bother!