Saturday 10 January 2015

2015 is kicking off!

Well, already 2015 is looking a 100% better than 2014. After a lovely Christmas and New Year period, with no riding for a couple of weeks and lots of family, friends, drinking and eating, I'm back at work (blah) and riding Annie (yey!). I've really fallen in love with the big moose and look forward to my rides with her.

She's looking pretty nice now:
We had a great lesson with Ben Netterfield yesterday (just got his Level 3 Showjump Coach accreditation - woot!). Just need lots of practice but she's doing very well. I have to go back and read my first posts about her to remind myself of how green and stiff she felt only a couple of short months ago.

I went through my plan for the year with Ben and was pleasantly surprised when he actually thought it sounded more than feasible - positively conservative!! The idea is to do EvA80 at Wallaby Hill and then at Canberra, and if all goes well, up to EvA95 at the next 3 or 4 events to take us through to mid-year.

There's a bit of a break from June to about August, so I'm considering giving her a big break then since she really only had a couple of weeks off over Christmas. Then, I told Ben I was contemplating a EvA105 by the end of the year, all going well. He thought I could do one before then. Cool!

I think Berrima is the best event to upgrade so the November event might be the one to do our first EvA105. I really think we can achieve that goal. Just lots more work and fun ahead. The next 8 weeks is pretty hectic, with lessons, clinics and Wallaby Hill on the horizon.

Annie's hooves have been adjusting remarkably well to barefoot. Below are two hooves pre- and post-trimming to give you an idea of the changes and quality of her hoof:
Near fore pre-trim
Near fore post-trim
Front feet post-trim

Rear feet post-trim
 You can see the ridge about 1.5cm from the coronet band that shows the massive change in hoof brought about by taking the shoes off and changing her diet. I'm still amazed by how good they're doing. Best transition yet! I think a big part was the time of year. A hot dry summer with lots of work plays a very positive role in the hoof's ability to grow strong wall with cohesive laminae.

Given the dry lead-up to Christmas and the fact we have too many horses, we made the decision to put the whole herd in a sacrifice paddock with large bale of hay. We also invested in a large slow-fee bale net to cover it in. It worked remarkably well and stretched the time it took for 8 horses to eat a bale from 3 days to more than 5, with vastly less wastage.
Uno (left) and Rose (right) with the rest enjoying the first bale and figuring out how to munch through the net.

The net in action.

All that's left when we used the net. Less than half a small bale's worth. Amazing difference.

A new bale ready to go with net in place.
But dry this summer has not entirely been! We've had an enormous amount of rain over the past 6 weeks - 175mm just for December, and already over 100mm for this month and we're not even halfway through yet! Dragonwood looks pretty gorgeous though, and I got some great snaps:

Our flooded dam at sunset

A couple of rare guests at sunset - always welcome on our place

Yet another gathering storm
 We also welcomed a dozen little chicks last week. One hatchling from a very large and stupid broody Australorp that survived only by being put under the fabulous Broody (below), a Silky of amazing mothering skills. I brought home the dozen day-old chicks from a breeder and just put them under Broody, who adopted them ferociously. Very funny watching her trying to stuff them under her wings!

It's been a great start to the year. Next installment coming right up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I'll approve it as soon as I can....unless you're a spammer, in which case, don't bother!