Saturday 1 February 2014

"Is it hot enough for ya?"

This has been the hottest, nastiest, driest and most exhausting weather I think I've experienced in my life. And, thanks to climate change, I'd better start getting used to it!! It's been over 35 degrees at our place for at least 80% of the past month and I, for one, am dead over it.

Anyway, horse-wise, everyone seems to be coping ok. Poor little Uno seems a wee bit depressed, though, and just stands or lies around, sweating, with his big ears flopped out to the side. Come to think of it, that describes most of the little herd. Except Jedi, who seems to take the heat in his stride and just wanders around grazing in the baking sun while everyone else is under a tree. I even came out today to find him flat on his side in the sun - I thought he was dead! It was 38 degrees.

This week has been a good week. After having a few more stress-related freak outs where he starts trying to be a buckjumper after I saddle him up, I've taken to just leading him down the lane and going over to Gay and Larry's place over the road. I am strict on his pace and direction and do lots of halts and slowing so that he sticks with me, but I am finding he is calmer and calmer each day now.

Considering I'm getting up at 5:30am I want some quality riding and we're starting to get it, finally. He's still prone to typical TB fizziness for the first 10 minutes or so, and needs some very firm instruction about stopping, going and turning, as well as a lot of 'squishing'! But we're starting to get roundness and suppleness, starting to get a little lengthening when asked, starting to get reliable canter transitions. It's all starting to solidify. Starting.... :)

Hoof-wise, he's still coming along in leaps and bounds. After his footiness at AEBC, I was a little worried I'd overdone it with his thin soles, but he seems to be better than he was when he went down there now. This hot weather has one upside at least! The dry ground is hard and encouraging good growth. Also discourages seedy toe and greasy heel.

I had a great lesson this morning with Gay (over the road) who had just returned from a George Morris coaching clinic. How lucky was she!! And how lucky am I to get the benefit!!

We worked on lateral suppleness and obedience as well as the basic stop and goes. Turns on the forehand are a big favourite of George's and now we tried linking a turn on the forehand to a leg yield. It was quite good actually.

When we started jumping it all went a bit awry from Jedi's perspective. He was getting a little hot just trotting into a cross rail and was really jumping way too big over it. And again and again, just not settling and popping it. So we did a little honesty jumping where we stopped him a few metres out and then allowed him to pop over it from a trot or walk. Seemed to settle him a little. But then we we went back to trotting over it again he just reverted to taking off on a very long stride and overjumping it.

Then Gay noticed my position and my tendency to lean forward and throw myself over the jump first! Yeah, that was the problem, it turned out, and with a lot of reminders to "put your shoulders back!" and "keep your hands up!" he started jumping quite nicely. Phew. Just have to work on that!!

Wallaby Hill next weekend and I'm actually pretty excited. First comp of the year and it's always so lovely. Then the Lucinda Green clinic after that which has been so exhausting to help organise. Nothing more disappointing (and embarassing?) than putting on a very expensive clinic, sure it'll be popular and well-attended, then having difficulties attracting the numbers. Not really sure why Canberrans haven't jumped at the chance to do the clinic....they have certainly not embraced Andrew Mclean! His clinic is set to be cancelled due to lack of numbers. So disappointing. Think a lot of people could have learnt a thing or two from Andrew!

Anyway, off to lie in front of a fan!! Keep cool and hydrated out there in Ozzie land. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I'll approve it as soon as I can....unless you're a spammer, in which case, don't bother!