Thursday 23 January 2014

AEBC Intensive - Day 4.1

A big day for me more than Jedi today. It was hot (34 deg) and the ponies and students alike were feeling it. We had a cross county lesson on our own with Andrew today - what a bonus! It's great doing stuff on green and young horses with Andrew as he leaves you alone if you're doing ok but always seems to know just when to step in and help.

Jedi was super. He jumped logs, brightly coloured barrels and tyres, banks, ditches, even a solid apex and a drop down into a puddle. He had a bit of a runout at a couple of things but was very willing and happy once he was able to have a look. Andrew and I discussed the merits of flogging horses over things like we used to in the old days but we both agreed this was just so much calmer and less fraught, letting them look and take their time. When you know better, you do better, as they say.

I tried clicker training for the first time today. It was amazingly cool. Jedi is quite food motivated so it was very important to maintain the groundwork rules so he didn't just run all over me! But within a short time he was offering behaviours that I wanted. Turning his head away, even 'smiling'! He started doing the Flemen response so I clicked it and said, 'smile', giving him a treat. Within a few goes he was smiling in command! Very funny.

I'm going to use clicker training a lot and see what I can train. I think it will help things like his rushing out of the float, or even coming when called. I really want to use it with the young horses to help train good responses more quickly. Essentially, it's a really consistent way of letting the horse know they're offering the right response, accurately timed. The clicker seems only to be limited by your ability to click in its application. I can't wait to try it out at home!

My lesson with Manu has been postponed to early tomorrow morning. With the heat, Jedi's obvious tiredness and mine, it seemed like a good idea. Pity I stacked on the steps at the Mclean's house tonight when I was over for dinner and now have some decent bruising that should be super uncomfortable to ride on tomorrow. Good effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I'll approve it as soon as I can....unless you're a spammer, in which case, don't bother!