Monday 18 November 2013

And now for a bit about Tux....

So, after some serious soul-searching (try saying that while eating a peanut butter sandwich!), I have decided I need to sell Tux on. It wasn't the brain-snap in the cross country warm up at Canberra for me, but the dressage test. It was so disappointing to find that, after 6 months' work, he was performing even worse in the dressage than before. I feel quite useless and my confidence in my abilities as a trainer and rider has taken a serious nose-dive. Not really what I need.

I analysed the videos of all three phases and just couldn't believe the difference in the horse when there are jumps in the vicinity. He settles (well, about 80%), focuses, doesn't rush and is careful. I think he and showjumping are destined to be together.

With that in mind, I rang up the trusty Ben Netterfield and hit him up to take Tux for a couple of weeks before I go down to AEBC. I want an assessment of the horse's ability, his trainability and a price tag Ben thinks is reasonable. I am still going to take him down to AEBC, regardless, as I don't have any other horse to ride at the moment (Rose is a bit busy on mum duties). I have learned a lot from Tux and don't see any reason to stop learning now!

That being said, I have my eye on a lovely ISH in Melbourne that I am hoping won't be sold by the time the clinic kicks off. The owner has very generously agreed to let me do some (or even all!) of the clinic on the horse if we hit it off, and I am really looking forward to seeing what he's like. There's a couple of others I will have a look at if the ISH doesn't work out. I'm hoping I can have a minimum of downtime between neddies (isn't that always the hope?).

So, what with the gorgeous Uno recuperating and the serious time I'm spending looking after him and his mum, not riding for a couple of weeks couldn't have come at a better time. I tell you what, I'm not going to lose any fitness - mucking out a large yard twice a day, filling up the water trough by hand for the moment (I just need 5m more hose, dammit), and carting hay around is keeping me quite fit!

I feel happier having taken the pressure off with Tux. I was pushing him because this is my 'fun' time and I wanted to be having fun again. Making the decision to move him on was difficult but right. He is such a talented, charismatic horse, he deserves someone with a more subtle riding style than me! Let's hope that rider also happens to have a nice fat wallet! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I'll approve it as soon as I can....unless you're a spammer, in which case, don't bother!