Monday 28 October 2013

Light at the end of the tunnel

So, another week elapses and I now have a more concrete plan for Tux. After a week of essentially mulling over my options, I had a really great lesson with super Ben Netterfield on Saturday afternoon where he both gave credence to my misgivings and boosted my confidence. For some reason, Tux really chills out at Ben's place - he's calmer, no blow-ups, a bit tense still, but a different horse. He's more the horse I rode the one time before I decided to buy him. Interesting.....

Ben and I talked a lot. And the plan was hatched: give Tux til the AEBC intensive in a month, use that 4 days as a platform to channel our progress and training, then execute the homework arising from the intensive over the following two or three months and evaluate his progress. Ben put it in a way that really validated what I have been feeling. Yes, there has been progress, but is it enough progress for the amount of time and effort I've been putting in? Is there enough of a change and improvement for me to keep pouring time, sweat and money into this horse?

The actual riding part of the lesson (the second half, really, but Ben and I can both talk, that's for sure!) was a bit of a lightbulb moment for me. Ben had two very clear suggestions, both of which made complete sense to me and both of which worked well with Tux.

Firstly, I have been skipping ahead with Tux, asking for more than he was ready for and not being super clear about what it was I was really asking for. The best example was the canter, which I've really been struggling with. Tux usually resists into the canter, bounding or pig-rooting, or chucking his head up and down as he canters sideways. Then if I do get him into a nice canter but ask for a change, like slower or turn, he chucks his head around and swaps onto the wrong lead. Ben just said 'keep going, push him on, just keep cantering on a big circle on the wrong lead'. Soon, we had a really nice counter canter and Ben would say, change reins in a big loop, and then we'd be on the correct lead. After a while, I'd upset Tux and he'd do his lead swapping thing again, disuniting and mucking around, but I pushed him on, made him canter and then when we got balanced and rhythmic we'd change reins again.

Essentially, Ben was saying that hot horses change the goal posts all the time. One minute it's, 'don't touch my mouth!', then it's, 'don't touch my sides!', then it's 'hell no, I'm not going to go forward!'. I need to be flexible and recognise resistance wherever it comes from. Tux will go from being super-sensitive to leg aids to really needing a boot to get going. Interesting....

So, that was lesson number one. Be really clear what you're asking and expecting. If you're having trouble with getting a canter, screw what lead you're on, focus on getting canter. Then worry about the leads once you get a consistent correct, calm reaction from the aid you're giving.

Lesson number two was about my position. I am letting him move me around a lot which, in turn, makes him more worried and reactive as he isn't sure where he's supposed to be. If I focus on maintaining my balance, my rhythm, my position and stay upright, he will learn that being under me, with me, is comfortable and safe. It's hard work, but the more I focused on keeping my line (shoulder, elbow, hip, heel), the better and calmer he became. Slowing and speeding up, keeping him with me, not fighting him and hanging on.

This is very true in my jumping position. I have this bloody stupid habit of, for the first fence at least, jumping before the horse does. It's obviously because I don't want to be left behind and catch him in the mouth, but as Ben explained, being ahead of the movement makes you more likely to be left behind. The horse is put on his forehand by my weight throwing forward, so he jumps badly and I'm not in balance so I get caught behind him. Makes sense when Ben explains it.

But, if I concentrate on simply sitting upright and still coming into the fence, it all just happens underneath me. He jumps up into me, I fold from the hips and I don't over-release the contact. It felt a lot smoother. And, Tux actually came calmly back to a trot which I've been trying to achieve for weeks. He really does like it at Ben's place.

So, Manu lesson on Friday. I'm a bit apprehensive as it's a shared lesson with a lovely girl on an even lovelier little stockhorse mare and I don't want to ruin their lesson with a crazy Tux. I'm also a bit peeved as I really need the help and the only lesson I could get to was the Friday as I've got Canberra HT on the Saturday. But beggars can't be choosers, and you just have to take what you can get when it comes to clinics.

Then Canberra, then in a few weeks' time it's the big drive down to Clonbinane for the intensive where I will be blogging every day, people! When too much Barefoot Eventer is barely enough! With pics!

Til then, happy riding. Might see some of you at Canberra.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I'll approve it as soon as I can....unless you're a spammer, in which case, don't bother!