Saturday 20 April 2013

It's a very odd business, the buying and selling of horses. On the one hand, it's very much like buying or selling any livestock - does it suit the purpose for which it will be used? Is it of sound confirmation and health? Is it a good price? And on the other hand there is the very human element of 'will I like him/her? Will we get on?" And I'll miss him/her.....

So, that's the environment I'm in at the moment. Selling Assegai is both easy and hard, as it is for everyone, I imagine. Easy because the decision has been made after much agonising, but hard because he's been a great mate over the last 3 years, restoring my confidence and skills after a long absence from riding. I'm proud of what he has become - a reasonably well-educated, strong and calm rideable horse with quite a lot of promise. So, it's a bit of a wrench.

But the most interesting part of buying and selling horses is the people you get to meet. There's some absolute nutbags out there! Now, I would have thought that a horse that's advertised for $10K as a performance horse would have indicated he was a performance horse that was above average. Doesn't deter the woman who'd just got a compo payout (apparently) from ringing up looking for a trail-riding horse! Ummmm....no. I don't think he's suited for that. Although, if she'd been super-keen, who am I to stop Assegai from having a life of leisure?

And buying is just as interesting. No, you're OTT is NOT worth $12K just because it LOOKS like a warmblood. And your 3 year old warmblood gelding is NOT worth $25K just because it's brother is a C Grade showjumper in Sydney. Or maybe it is, who am I to say? A horse is only worth what someone will pay for it in the end. Bloodlines don't mean jack in a gelding - it's all about performance. If it's a lovely horse with great movement that obviously counts, but not to the tune of a new car. And don't even get me started on ponies! Highway robbery!

Rant over. :)

On a lighter note, I've been really pleased with the massive change in my riding since last Manu clinic. I'm way more upright, my elbows are by my sides and I'm getting far better at closing my hands instead of opening my fingers all the time. I rode a horse today that I would love to buy (at the right price!) and was quite happy with how I rode. It's truly amazing what good coaching will do.

Til next time... happy riding!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you keep blogging if and when you move onto a new horse :)
    Carrie - Three Grey Arabians

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I'll approve it as soon as I can....unless you're a spammer, in which case, don't bother!