Monday 24 December 2012

Reflecting and scheming

So, it's that time of year - the reflection on the past and scheming for the future time. And it's been one hell of a year, 2012. I can only imagine what is to come in 2013!
Horse-wise, things have been quiet this year. I was pregnant for most of the year, which does kill off any riding intentions for me - I get quite morning sick, and I feel all weird about jumping on my young horse when I know he could turf me off any time! But, 3 weeks after the baby was born I had my first ride! Call me crazy, I know....but it's a matter of mental health!

Now that Assegai is 6 and has obviously enjoyed his time off, I am starting to look towards our future. I have to be honest and say that I seriously contemplated selling him on and looking for something 'easier'. He has a very difficult temperament (ie he's a complete grump and has built a solid reputation as downright aggressive around our agistment centre!), and he's also very spooky so he's liable to start stopping on cross country 50m away from a fence he hasn't seen before! I started to find it really frustrating (how many times can I be yelled at to 'get him in front of your leg!' before I have to just down tools and tell said yeller to get on and give it a go yourself! But, all whingeing aside, he's exceptionally quick to train, he can jump when he puts his mind to it, and after 7 months off didn't even put in a pigroot or a shy until several rides in when I felt stronger!

So, what is a good goal? I figured I'd throw caution to the wind and set my sights on 1* with Assegai. I want to ride at Melbourne 3DE and I figured, hey, it's only 110cm, right? (Insert derisive laughter here) And once you get to 1* you can crack on for 3*, right? (Insert derisive snorting guffawing here)

But, seriously. 1* it is. And that means I have to get strategic. It's one thing to just fang along doing Intro (EA80) and even Prelim (EA95), but getting up to higher grades requires planning, training, commitment and management - and an air vest!! I'm terrified of being involved in a rotational fall. They're the ones that kill you. Eek!

Fiona Gruen, when I sheepishly confided my goal to her in our first lesson a few weeks back, without batting an eye (I guess 1* seems pretty normal to people like that) said, "dressage and showjumping, that's all you should be doing for the next 6 months!" A bit deflating, since I love cross country the most - like all eventers! - and suck at both dressage and show jumping. But she has a point. I guess you have to practice most what you're least good at. Sigh. But with that in mind, my aim is to do our first Prelim by my birthday (June) and step up to Pre-Novice at Berrima in 2014. It's such a lovely, forgiving course and I've heard it's a good one to step up to the next level at.

I've also discovered the 'performance trim' being used by the odd higher level barefoot eventer (here's one such example: http://www.barehoofcare.com/annie.html). I'm keen to try it out in wetter conditions. We haven't had dramas slipping yet, but I'm sure there'll be a comp coming up where studs would be handy!

Hope you all had a great Christmas and a recharging holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I'll approve it as soon as I can....unless you're a spammer, in which case, don't bother!