Sunday 25 November 2012

Barefoot Eventer is born!

When I was first exposed to barefoot horse management a couple of years ago I looked and looked but found almost nothing on the internet from Australian eventers. I realise I am in the distinct minority campaigning a horse barefoot in one of the toughest equestrian sports on what is usually very hard and rough going. But the benefits to my horse have been such that I have found myself quite committed to this approach and wanted to share my journey online for the benefit of other eventers (or riders in general) in Australia looking to compete barefoot.

A bit about me, so you can decide if I sound like your kind of blogger: I'm 33, I work in the legal profession, I have two kids (my eldest is 3 and has Down syndrome, my youngest is 7 weeks) and a very understanding husband. I own two horses. The Barefoot Eventer original is a warmblood/Irish Sport Horse of dubious character who just turned 6 and, until I put him out for 7 months to have a lad's holiday while I was pregnant, had started competing EA80 (ie Intro). The other horse is a 3 year old Irish Sport Horse of gargantuan proportions who is off having adult time with a very handsome ISH stallion. I agist my horses and live in town, though hopefully this will change in future.

If you're still with me, thank you! My next post will detail my introduction to barefoot and I'll post a couple of pics of my horses' feet to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. The gelding has 'pony feet' according to the trimmer, but the mare's feet are a little more complex. And their hooves change constantly with the weather, season, diet, terrain and workload. More on that next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I'll approve it as soon as I can....unless you're a spammer, in which case, don't bother!